Me

Me
A Fireside Chat?

Saturday, August 2, 2008

The Price of Leaving

Packing is more than it seems. It isn’t only the physical act of putting things in boxes for transport; it is an emotional activity that balances the heavy melancholy of leaving with the giddy anticipation of going..

As I have removed pictures of family and friends from frames to place in an envelope until I can re-frame them I have paused to look at the many faces that I will be leaving behind.

Perhaps . . . NO! . . . There is no perhaps. The truth is that the images of my Mother and Father cause the longest pauses as I consider saying goodbye. How can I? It is true that I will be back next summer but so much can happen so quickly. I dream of scooping them up and putting them in Gertie’s best seats and taking them with me to Mexico so that I can make sure that they are OK. But all I can do is wrap their images in tissue, and carefully place them in the envelope.

In the words of Harry Browne: “Everything you want in life has a price connected to it. There is a price to pay if you want to make things better, a price to pay just for leaving things as they are, a price for everything”. My price for leaving will be the eventual distance that will lie between me and my parents, my sisters, two of my childhood friends, my crazy aunt and others who have added to my life in one way or another.

Yes. These are the unavoidable expenses. But I must pay them as surely as I must leave. I do not want to leave room for regrets that I might have in my old age if I were to look back and lament over the things that I should have done, wish that I had done but did not.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

You should have nor regrets in life, as only with trying something new or taking a new direction, will you find what you are looking for and realise what you already have. ENJOY! Life is definitely for living, go girl!

Cookie said...

love love love the blog, gf!!!

I'm sooo glad to see you doing this, you have such a way with words as it is - and with your adventures, it will be an awesome way to let us "travel" with you and Cath!

Looks like you have the hang of blogging already - I'm adding your site to my list, Tout de Suite. And if you ever have any technical questions, you know I'm happy to try and assist ♥

Countryfolk Keepsakes said...

Jen, you've been on my mind lately. I've been wondering how you've been. I am so glad to see your blogging!! Can't wait to hear more about your Twoheads adventure!
I will add you to my blog. :> )
~Karin

Unknown said...

Well Kia Ora friends. Good luck on your journey and thats what it is. Do not think that you are leaving your family behind. They would want nothing for you other than to have a full and rewarding life and in order to do that, sometimes we need to leave...as I know all too well. Your family will be with you as you will find yourself doing things your mother would...or listening to something your dad liked so you're not leaving them. Your just changing the physical dynamics for now. I will log in every now and again to see how you're going and all the great things you will do.

Of the places you will go.....

Kia Kaha mes amis!

Andrea Fale (Mc Grath) New Zealand !

Anonymous said...

Transition.........change.......always involves giving up a few things but also gaining new things.....like adventure and friends. Thought my folks would be living with us for at least 5 years but their health made a turn for the worse and now they both are in a nursing home here in Ajijic. Can't predict the future....only enjoy each day as it comes. For us, living in Mexico was a good decision. Hopefully it will be for you both too. Elaine and Miguel

Mathieu said...

believe me, we're paying a heavy price by watching you go. But the reward of your happiness far outweighs the cost. And try to remember "The return makes one love the farewell."

Hadley

Hadley
This is MY Giraffe and I don't want it Packed!

Gertie

Gertie
Soon to be Our Home on Wheels